Emergency Care Centre
Whether it’s an unexpected sudden accident, injury or pain, the GCPH Emergency Care Centre (ECC) is open to all patients. We offer a team of experienced emergency doctors on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week, minimal wait times as well as the latest medical technology.
Contact the Emergency Care Centre on: (07) 55 300 888
- Rapid assessment
- 24 hour medical and nursing cover
- Onsite x-ray and pathology
- Emergency specialists on call 24 hours a day
- 24 hour cardiac chest pain referral centre
- Onsite 24 hour catheterisation laboratory with an experienced team of interventional cardiologists and nurses
- Resuscitation bay.
Who can come to the ECC?
We welcome all patients, whether you have private health insurance, Work Cover, Veteran's Affairs or are uninsured, anyone can be assessed and treated at our ECC.
Our Emergency Centre Centre is a private fee-for-service facility, but most patients can claim a portion of their account from Medicare.
Private health insurance, unfortunately, does not cover the Emergency department fees, but patients can claim a Medicare rebate, meaning out of pocket expenses will rarely exceed between $250.00 and $300.00.
Your Private insurance will commence once you are admitted to the main hospital.
- Pathology tests such as blood tests are bulk billed*
- Before 9 pm radiology procedures such as X-ray’s and CT scans are bulk billed before 9 pm*
- After 9 pm radiology procedures such as X-ray’s and CT scans will attract an after-hours fee*
- Complex procedures and consultations after hours may incur an additional fee.
* Please note that the providers of these services charge these items separately.
Reception staff will provide more information, answer any questions and complete an informed financial consent form with you.
An account will be prepared after consultation with the doctor and patients are required to finalise their account before they leave the Emergency Care Centre. Electronic Medicare payment, EFTPOS and credit card payment systems are available for payment.
The relevant insurance schemes cover WorkCover and Veterans' Affairs, patients. Please ask our reception staff for details.
For members of private health funds with questions regarding whether your private cover qualifies for reimbursement after ECC treatment, please forward any queries to your health insurance fund.
Our ECC staff will ensure you receive immediate assessment, treatment and referrals, where appropriate, to help you return to your regular duties as quickly as possible. Once your claim has been confirmed, WorkCover will cover all costs of your visit.
Patients qualifying for Veterans’ Affairs are fully covered for ECC visits and inpatient services. These patients receive no out-of-pocket expenses.
After your ECC visit
Following assessment and management by the doctor in ECC, you may be admitted to one of the Gold Coast Private inpatient wards for ongoing medical treatment or surgery.
If you are well enough to return home, a medical report (including investigations and appropriate treatment) will be sent to your GP and other relevant treating doctors within 24 hours. This report will only be sent with your consent. The report provides vital information to assist your doctor with ongoing management.